Friday, July 29, 2011

Christopher & Speech Screening

Christopher and I got to spend the day together because he had his speech screening today and I didn't want the girls to be in the way during his evaluation, so I took them to our childcare provider.  After we dropped the girls off, we ran a few errands {shopping}and then met up with Will for lunch.  Afterward, I rushed home hoping to be able to put Christopher down for a short nap before the evaluator came, but she ended up calling shortly after we got home to let me know that she'd be a little early {BOO!}.  All in all, Christopher did a great job (no major meltdowns) while she was here, even though I know he was tired.  I think he did beautifully showing off his motor skills, but when she got to the speech portion there was point where she only understood 15% of what he said in a given period of time.  Christopher was so frustrated by her not understanding what he was "talking" about that he turned his back to her and walked away with his hands up in an "I don't know" fashion.  The evaluator turned to me in the most serious way and said, "Well, he sure does try!"  It's not very funny seeing it typed out, but the way she said it makes me laugh every time I play it out in my mind. 

I think Christopher enjoyed being the only child, even if only for a day, because when we got ready to leave home to pick the girls up he began shaking his head so hard that I was afraid it would pop off of his little neck.  After a bit of a power struggle he ended up falling asleep on the way, but when he woke up to find Caroline and Lily in the car he cried hard for a few minutes.  Bless his heart. 

We'll know on Wednesday if he qualifies for services or not.  Keeping my fingers crossed, because I know {as his Mommy} that he needs some help. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tiffani, who did Christopher's speech screening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lady named Lisa from BabyNet. I was so afraid he wouldn't have anything to do with whoever came, but he actually warmed up to her very quickly.

    ReplyDelete